Natural Support for Cat Skin Allergies and Hot Spots
What Is A Hot Spot?
A hot spot (aka moist dermatitis) is an inflamed skin lesion that may be further irritated by licking, scratching and chewing, often turning red, becoming infected, and 'hot' to the touch. Kitties are very sensitive and may have very delicate skin, so even small changes in their diet or environment can strongly affect them. The inflamed skin can be very uncomfortable for your kitty, and they may even experience fur loss.
Causes of Hot Spots on Cats
A few factors can cause hot spots in our feline friends, like food sensitivities, allergens in the environment, biting insects, and infections. Kitties with longer coats may be more susceptible to hot spots, especially when the weather is humid (like in the summer months). In most cases, hot spots are caused by allergies to the environment or something in their diet. Cat skin allergies most often develop on their paws, face, ears, front legs, and belly, but itchiness all over the body is common as well.
How NHV's Natural Cat Allergy Spray Relieves Inflamed Skin
If your kitty is licking, biting, or scratching a specific area, they may be experiencing a great level of discomfort. Ingredients like Chamomile, Marigold and Aloe vera are beneficial for soothing skin lesions, reducing swelling and easing discomfort. The immunostimulatory properties in Ouch Away help regulate a healthy histamine response to rebalance the immune system and help prevent infection. Herbs like Tea Tree oil and Lemongrass are effective topically against biting insects (fleas, mites, mosquitos and flies) and fighting infections, while ingredients like Rosemary encourage hair regrowth (recovery from alopecia).
Help Support your Cat Naturally
NHV Ouch Away Spray is an all-natural spray that is non-toxic for your furkiddo and formulated by an experienced herbalist and holistic vet. To learn more about hot spots in cats, check out our blog post about it. Get in touch with an NHV pet expert if you have questions about your kitty’s unique health needs.
- item number
- 0.70 LBS
- 1 fl. oz. (30ml)
- life stages
- adult, senior, kitten
- made in
Made with the finest, organically grown, or ethically harvested herbs. Made specifically for pets, vet-formulated and vet approved.
- Aloe Vera—Contains anti-inflammatory, antibacterial properties and emollient properties, beneficial for healing burns, wounds and skin irritations; may be cooling to the skin and stimulate the immune system; may encourage skin growth and reduce overall discomfort
- Calendula—Defends against microorganisms, contains antiseptic properties to help decrease bacteria and fungus at the site of injury and help enhance healing.
- Chamomile—Beneficial aid for soothing and healing inflamed skin; contains immuno-stimulating, sedative, and antiseptic properties
- Lavender Oil—It has been traditionally used on skin to kill germs, soothe skin diseases and help reduce itching
- Lemongrass oil—Contains natural insect repellent properties and effective support against infections (bacterial and fungal)
- Oregon Grape—Beneficial for stimulating the immune system, relaxing the body and fighting bacterial and fungal infections
- Rosemary—Rich in volatile oils, flavonoids and phenolic acids, which contain effective antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties; antioxidants in rosemary fight against free radicals that can damage hair follicles and encourage hair regrowth
- Tea Tree oil—Especially useful in treating parasite bites, infected wounds and minor cuts; contains antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and germicidal properties
How to Administer
Topical Spray: Spray several times a day to affected area(s) until healed. It may sometimes be necessary to shave or trim your pet’s hair so that the Ouch Away Spray reaches the affected area. If necessary, cover the affected area with gauze dressing.
Do not spray near or into eyes or nose. May initially sting on open cut. A vet examination prior to use of this product is recommended. If your pet’s condition does not improve or deteriorates consult your vet and stop the use of the product.
Information presented by NHV Natural Pet Products is for educational purposes only.
Will hot spots heal on their own?
It is unlikely that your cat’s hot spots will heal on their own, but the good news is that you can naturally support your furkiddo with a cat skin spray like Ouch Away. This unique blend of herbs contains many beneficial properties for soothing skin, easing discomfort, encouraging wound healing and promoting fur regrowth.
Can I put coconut oil on my cat’s hot spots?
Hot spots (aka moist dermatitis) develop due to broken skin and excessive moisture - which can worsen and become infected when your kitty scratches or chews. We do not recommend putting coconut oil on your cat’s hot spots. All though coconut oil is non-toxic and has many health benefits, it may be ineffective and may introduce more moisture. Also, your kitty may try to eat it.
Will this help with hair growth?
Ouch Away contains herbs that can help to stimulate hair growth.
Is it okay if my pet licks the Ouch Away spray?
Our cat skin spray is made from all-natural ingredients that are non-toxic and safe to ingest. For best results, we do recommend discouraging your kitty from licking it all off so that their skin can heal.
How do I know if my cat has hot spots?
If your cat has a hot spot, look for these signs:
- A lesion that appears red or the skin is thickened
- Unexplained swelling
- Excessive licking or chewing of a particular area on the body
- A red or brown color around the affected area
- Pus and oozing (may be smelly)
- Displaying signs of stress or discomfort
Can I spray the Ouch Away on my cat’s face? If not, how do I apply it to their face?
We do not recommend spraying Ouch Away directly onto your pet’s face because it may go into their mouth or eyes. When applying it to their face, spray Ouch Away onto a cotton pad and apply to the inflamed skin. If your pet has long hair, you may need to trim or shave their fur so that Ouch Away can reach the affected area.