Overview of Belgian Tervuren
Belgian Tervurens, affectionately known as 'Tervs' combine the beauty and grace of a show dog, the attentiveness of a companion dog, and the work ethic of a herding dog. Tervs are one of four native herding breeds from Belgium which are: the Belgian Tervuren (fawn - mahogany, longhaired, with a blackened mask), the Belgian Sheepdog (longhaired, black), the Malinois (fawn - mahogany, shorthaired, with a blackened mask), and the Laekenois (fawn - mahogany, wirehaired). Originally bred to be an all-around herder and guard dog, Tervs are named after the town of Tervuren, home to master breeder M.F. Corbeel. Surprisingly, these medium to large (45-75 lbs) pooches don't have much of a doggy odor, only requiring a bath every few months, and a weekly brushing twice a week to stay fresh. Today's Belgian Tervuren Shepherds are employed as police and military K-9s, search and rescue workers, service dogs, actors (like in the movie The Company of Wolves, where Tervs play the wolves), and champions in the show ring, obedience, herding trials, and disc sports like frisbee.
Personality of Belgian Tervuren
Renowned for their work ethic and versatility, Belgian Tervurens excel in many roles, as long as they get to work hard! Tervs are good problem solvers that are extremely versatile when given a job in the field. At home, they’re happy to be wherever you are! Don’t be surprised if your Terv follows you into the bathroom. Their high intelligence means that this is a thinking breed that can definitely outsmart their humans. Belgian Tervuren puppies require a high activity level and if not socialized early, they may become reactive and possessive. A Terv would be happiest with an experienced dog owner who will give them a job to do and will not fall prey to their head games! A no-nonsense approach is key to a calm, well-balanced Belgian Tervuren. Out of the four Belgian Shepherds, Tervs are considered to be the most elegant and beautiful! Are you on the lookout for an eye-catching, intelligent, and athletic pooch whose idea of heaven is hard work and challenging play? Then a Belgian Tervuren might be the dog for you!
Common Health Issues & Recommendations for Belgian Tervuren Dog
Epilepsy in Dogs: Belgian Sheepdogs (Groenendaels) and Belgian Tervurens may be at a higher risk for recurring seizures. Epilepsy may afflict up to 17% of Groenendaels and Tervurens. No one really understands why this condition is more prevalent in these dogs but there is a high likelihood that there are genetic factors involved.
Recommendations for Epilepsy in Belgian Tervuren Dogs:
- PetOmega 3 - Is a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids that can help support a heathy brain, cognitive function and can help to alleviate inflammation.
- Lesstress - Natural aid that can help calm excitability and encourage relaxation your dog in stressful situations.
- Turmeric - Contains powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory support for the body. It can also help support the brain and neurological system, as well as the digestive system.
- Old Timer - An herbal formulation with anti-inflammatory and restorative properties that can be very beneficial for nervous system disorders.
Progressive Retinal Atrophy in Dogs: The Belgian Tervuren is a breed that may be prone to developing degenerative disorders of the eye, which may lead to blindness if left untreated.
Recommendations for Progressive Retinal Atrophy in Belgian Tervuren Dogs:
- OcuLove - A beneficial aid to help support overall eye health and may help slow down ocular degeneration.
- Turmeric - Contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory support that can help promote circulatory health while encouraging tissue regeneration.
Cancer in Dogs: Stomach cancer is a cancer that occurs more commonly in the Groenendaels and the Belgian Tervurens. Its symptoms include lethargy, appetite loss, vomiting, and weight loss.
Recommendations for Cancer in Belgian Tervuren Dogs:
- ES-Clear - Our main cancer supplement that can be ideal support for pets with a compromised immune system.
- Natures Immuno - A blend of medicinal mushrooms that can help to increase immune cells and can help protect the body from free radical damage.
- Yucca - Rich in nutrients, Yucca root can aid in digestion, encourage healthy appetite and contains anti-inflammatory properties that can support the GI tract.