Overview of Berger Picard
The Berger Picard is a large (50-70 lbs) ancient herding breed that has lived and worked in Picardy, France, since the Middle Ages. Some believe the Berger Picard to be the oldest among the herding dogs developed by French shepherds, perhaps even pre-dating the Beauceron and the Briard. In some countries, they are known as the Picardy Shepherd. Their coat comes in fawn (tan) or brindle and is reasonably low maintenance. Despite their rustic, tousled appearance, the Berger Picard's coat remains mat-free as long as it is clean and brushed out. This breed was largely unknown in America until a Berger Picard was cast in 'Because of Winn-Dixie'
Personality of Berger Picard
Picardy Shepherds have a lively, intelligent personality that is both sensitive and mischievous who make ideal companions for any sport, game, or outdoor pastime. They would be happiest in a busy household that takes exercise seriously! If these intelligent working dogs don't have something to do, they may become anxious and exhibit destructive behavior. Interestingly, a study in 2018 found that the Berger Picard is closely related to German Shepherds and several Italian herding dogs, including the Bergamasco! With their dark glistening eyes, bushy eyebrows, and furled mustache, these pups undoubtedly capture the look of a French nobleman from the 17th century! So if you are on the hunt for a rugged four-legged friend with boundless energy, ancient European roots, and an adorable tail that tapers into a J hook, get a Picard Berger!
Common Health Issues & Recommendations for Berger Picard Dog
Separation anxiety in dogs: Berger Picard puppies need a lot of mental and physical stimulation to keep them satisfied on a daily basis so if they are left alone with not enough to do, they may become anxious and destructive.
Recommendations for Separation Anxiety in Berger Picard Dogs:
- Lesstress - A soothing remedy that may help decrease anxiety, promote a calm mind and body, and may help prevent destructive behavior.
- Matricalm - Depending on the level of anxiety in your furkiddo, you can pair Lesstress with Matricalm to help calm them down.
Progressive Retinal Atrophy in dogs: The Berger Picard is a breed that is susceptible to developing retinal atrophy and other degenerative eye conditions that may lead to blindness if left untreated. The most common form of PRA is late-onset that generally affects dogs around the age of five.
Recommendations for Progressive Retinal Atrophy in Berger Picard Dogs:
- Ey Eas - All-natural eye drops that are formulated to help gently support the eyes and may promote ocular health.
- Turmeric - A holistic aid that may add antioxidant and anti-inflammatory support to help slow down degenerative conditions and enhance healing.
- OcuLove - Beneficial for proactive eye health and to help slow down degenerative disorders like progressive retinal atrophy in dogs.
Parasites in dogs: All animals are prone to getting worms and a Berger Picard dog is no exception! We recommend de-worming your pet at least twice per year.
Recommendations for Parasites in Berger Picard Dogs:
- Parasite Detox Kit - Contains a range of beneficial ingredients that may help prevent or eliminate parasites naturally, support the liver and kidneys (which may become fatigued from parasites) and may help fill nutritional voids.