Third-Party Tested 100% Natural Remedies for Allergies in Cats
Just like people, cats can have allergies to many different things including common allergens found in the environment.
Allergens That Cause a Reaction in Cats
- Pollen and grass
- Plants and mold
- Dust Mites
- Household cleaners
- Carpet fibers and carpet deodorizers
- Cigarette smoke
When your kitty ingests, inhales, or even comes into direct contact with these allergens, the immune system produces a protein that binds to the skin which then activates the body’s defense system triggering the release of chemicals such as histamines.
Common Symptoms of Allergies in Cats
- Itching and scratching
- Sneezing and coughing
- Red skin and hives
Specific Types of Allergies in Cats
- Feline Atopy - A skin allergy that occurs in about 10% of cats.
- The age range is one to eight years or older
- Caused by a reaction due to a substance in the environment that was either inhaled or occurred through direct contact.
- Symptoms include:
- Frequent and extreme itching
- Licking and sores
- Hair loss
- Inflammation and scaling
- Feline Asthma - a commonly diagnosed respiratory disease in cats
- Usually caused by allergens, like cigarette smoke or dust mites.
- Open mouth breathing
- Read Sixx’s story of how NHV helped him cope with feline asthma.
At NHV, we have an array of natural remedies for allergies in cats that include potent herbs such as:
- Myrrh—An astringent that helps relieve irritated skin
- Echinacea Purpurea—A powerful herb that reduces inflammation and boosts the immune system
Find out more about seasonal allergies in cats on our vet-tech rounds blog on how to prevent seasonal allergies in dogs and cats.
Additional Support Tips
Regular bathing will help to remove the allergens as well as provide relief. Talk to your vet about necessary tests to determine which type of allergy your kitty may have as well as discussing dietary choices that include foods that do not contain preservatives.
If you have questions about natural remedies for allergies in cats, ask an expert at NHV, because, at NHV we want your cat to live a healthy, and long clawtastic life naturally!