Overview of Peterbald Cats
Peterbald cats may have extraterrestrial looks, but we assure you that their origins are earthly. A breeder in Russia decided to cross a Donskoy and an Oriental Shorthair, and the Peterbald was born. These kitties soon became all the rage in St. Petersburg. Their iconic wrinkled skin and angular build range from totally hairless to coated (like petting cashmere) to a coat of varying lengths with wavy or kinked hairs. Because they do not have a typical absorbent coat like most kitties, oil is more likely to pool on their skin, so it is recommended to give your Peterbald a weekly bath to keep them happy and healthy. Pet parents should protect their Peterbald cat's sensitive skin by applying a pet-approved sunscreen during hotter months while avoiding cold weather. The Peterbald kittens are still relatively rare outside of Russia, so you will need to book a plane ticket if you want one of these unique kitties!
Personality of Peterbald Cat
Often described as looking like a being out of this world, the Peterbald's large bat-like ears, almond eyes, and lean build are unmistakable. They sometimes appear to have doglike qualities because they can be trained to walk on a leash and are more than willing to follow their owners around. Peterbald cats are highly intelligent, sweet-tempered energetic kitties who will surely entertain you with their silly antics. Their friendly, curious personality means that they can make friends with anybody, including other cats and dogs. The Peterbald is for anyone who wants a medium-sized (7-14 lb) velcro kitty with a big personality!
Common Health Conditions & Recommendations for Peterbald Cats
Skin infections: Peterbald cats can develop oily skin because of their lack of coat so the oil may pool on the skin and they tend to attract dirt. Their skin may be sensitive and prone to yeast infections.
Recommendations for Skin Infections in Peterbald Cats:
- Fungal and Skin Infections Super Support - Helps support healthy skin, hair and immune support to combat bacterial and fungal infections.
Urinary tract infection in cats: can be a result of a blockage from stones or crystals. These infections may also develop due to injury or stress. Peterbald kitties may be prone to this type of infection.
Recommendations for Urinary Tract Infections in Peterbald Cats:
- Bladder Stones and Urinary Crystals Kit - beneficial aid for relieving symptoms of urinary tract infections, helping to prevent the formation of stones and crystals, and encourage healthy urinary tract function.
- Turmeric - beneficial for UTIs due to its infection-fighting and anti-inflammatory properties. However, if your kitty is suffering from oxalate crystals, it may not be a good idea to give them turmeric because it could increase oxalate levels.
Digestive issues in cats: Peterbald Cats need access to fresh food at all times (to compensate for their lack of hair, they have faster metabolisms) so sometimes they may have issues with digestion, absorption, or bowel health.
Recommendations for Digestive Issues in Peterbald Cats:
- Yucca - is considered a superfood due to its rich source of vitamins and minerals. It can be beneficial for relieving inflammation along the gastrointestinal tract as well as help improve digestion.
- Plantaeris - a natural support for digestive health, nutrient absorption, and promoting healthy bowel function.
- TumFlora - helps to encourage your cat’s overall GI tract health and is beneficial for relieving digestive upset and symptoms of IBD/IBS.