Natural Support for Symptoms of Addison’s Disease in Dogs
Addison’s disease, also called hypoadrenocorticism, occurs when the adrenal glands no longer produce enough of the hormones called cortisol and aldosterone. The adrenal glands are responsible for controlling the balance of sodium and potassium as well as metabolizing nutrients and controlling inflammation.
This disease usually affects young to middle-aged female dogs. Some breeds are more prone to Addison’s, and a few include the following:
Find out if your dog breed is prone to Addison’s disease.
Causes of Addison’s Disease in Dogs
The exact cause is unknown; however it is thought to be an autoimmune condition where the body destroys its tissue, but there could be other causes including:
- Metastatic tumors
- Medications used to treat Cushing’s disease which is when the adrenal glands are overactive.
Signs and Symptoms of Addison’s Disease in Dogs
Signs of Addison’s may appear suddenly or occur intermittently and may vary in severity. Some of the clinical symptoms include:
- Weakness and depression
- Intermittent vomiting
- Decreased appetite and weight loss
- Increased thirst and urination can occur sometimes.
NHV’s range of holistic, natural vet-formulated, and approved remedies can provide the added support needed that is safe to use along with any vet-recommended treatment for Addison’s disease in dogs. Learn more about the benefits of integrative care on Dr. Hillary Cook's blog.
Additional Support Tips
Always consult with your vet before giving medication or altering your pet’s diet. Talk to your vet about including holistic supplements as many can help with alleviating the symptoms of Addison’s disease in your dog including:
- NHV’s Supraglan—A potent blend of natural ingredients that supports adrenal function as well as balancing the secretion of aldosterone which is reduced with Addison’s disease.
- NHV’s Milk Thistle—This powerful herbal supplement has renal protective properties that can also benefit pets taking pharmaceutical medications for Addison’s disease.
It is essential to boost the depleted adrenal gland hormones as well as supporting the liver and kidneys. Including NHV’s plant-based supplements can help support the immune system as well as adrenal gland function.
Read more about natural relief for adrenal dysfunction in dogs. At NHV, we want your furry family member to live a longer healthier life naturally.