Pancreatic Support for Dogs and Cats
No one wants to get the news that their sweet four-legged companion is suffering from pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). The pancreas is a squishy, pink gland (that lays to the right of your furkiddo's stomach and is connected to the small intestine) has two main jobs, which are:
1.) To release digestive enzymes to breakdown proteins, carbs and fats (they become active once they reach the small intestine)
2.) To secrete insulin/glucagon to regulate blood sugar levels
Pancreatitis disrupts the normal functioning of digestive enzymes - typically, these enzymes are stored in their inactive form and are only released when needed. When the pancreas is inflamed, enzymes are released and can digest the pancreas itself, leading to severe pain and inflammation. Further inflammation can lead to other diseases like diabetes mellitus (disruption of insulin/glucagon pathways) or inflammation of surrounding tissues (eg. the liver and small intestine). Supporting your pet with cat or dog pancreatic support supplements can help improve their symptoms and put your furry friend back on the path to recovery.
There Are Two Types of Pancreatitis:
Acute Pancreatitis: can happen suddenly, with no previous sign of the condition. It must be treated as quickly as possible and can be life-threatening to other organs if the inflammation spreads.
Chronic Pancreatitis: develops slowly over time and can be a result of repeated attacks of severe pancreatitis.
How NHV Remedies Support Pets With Pancreatitis
It’s difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of pancreatitis. Possible causes could be a high-fat diet (specific to dogs), trauma to the organ (eg. a car accident), certain types of medication, or stress from a chronic illness like hypothyroidism, diabetes mellitus, or inflammatory bowel disease (specific to cats). Symptoms can include lethargy, appetite loss, weakness, abdominal pain, dehydration, vomiting, or diarrhea. To get your furkiddo tested for acute or severe pancreatitis, contact your vet to run some diagnostic tests like a SPEC (specific pancreatic lipase test), ultrasound or a radiograph.
Treatment for pancreatitis often includes intense hydration therapy and supports for pain and nausea. Your little one may require a few sleepovers at the vet so that they can benefit from IV fluids that aid with circulation and encourage the pancreas to heal naturally. NHV’s Pancreas Imbalance Kit 1 is specially formulated to help relieve discomfort, help with inflammation, support the pancreas functioning, as well as support other vital organs like the liver and kidneys. Mellit works to soothe pancreatic inflammation, is beneficial for healthy enzyme function and aids to regulate blood sugar levels. Meanwhile, Milk Thistle, supports the liver and encourages the healthy elimination of toxins, and strengthens immunity. Turmeric contains many effective properties that can soothe discomfort, inflammation and support healthy liver function.
- May help ease symptoms of pancreatic inflammation (this inflammation can cause the body to digest itself and can trigger body-wide inflammation)
- May help protect the pancreas against cell damage (what triggers pancreatitis)
- Helps manage blood sugar levels
- May help improve hypertriglyceridemia (a common symptom in acute pancreatitis)
Milk Thistle (silymarin)
- Beneficial for shielding the liver from harmful toxins
- Free-radical scavengers can help prevent liver inflammation
- Antioxidant properties help to increase the body's immunity
- May help protect and encourage liver regeneration
- Beneficial aid for liver and kidney support
- Excellent anti-inflammatory properties
- Contains antimicrobial properties
- Has antioxidant properties
- Contains analgesic properties (may ease discomfort)
- May help protect against liver disease
Use Dog and Cat Pancreas Supplements as Comprehensive Support
Some breeds of dogs and cats may be predisposed to some pancreatic conditions. Dog breeds like Miniature Schnauzers and cat breeds like the Siamese may be prone to pancreatitis. Get in touch with us to figure out how our dog or cat pancreatic supplements can best support your furry friend.
- item number
- 2.40 LBS
- 3 x 3.4 fl. oz (100ml)
- life stages
- adult, senior, puppy/kitten
- made in
- Astragalus—contains anti-inflammatory properties that may help to stimulate liver function, immune health, and circulation; can shield against oxidative stress and autoimmune disease
- Blueberry—contains antioxidants, vitamin C, and is a good source of fiber to encourage circulation and reducing elevated blood sugar levels
- Dandelion—contains anti-inflammatory properties that help to stimulate the liver, normalize blood sugar levels and lower harmful cholesterol
- Devil’s Club—Adaptogenic properties can help regulate the glandular system and metabolism; contains antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties
- Fenugreek—It has long been used in Ayurvedic medicine for its healing properties; contains galactomannan (soluble fiber) that reduces the rate of blood sugar absorption, contains amino acids that stimulate insulin production, and has beneficial support for hypertriglyceridemia (a common symptom in acute pancreatitis)
- Goat’s Rue—Beneficial for maintaining blood sugar levels, protect the liver and support healthy pancreatic function
- Gymnema—helps support healthy insulin production, can reduce elevated blood sugar levels, and may help block absorption of sugars in the intestine
- Jambolin—Contains anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidant properties that can help strengthen the immune system; can increase insulin secretion from the pancreas, can help re-balance blood sugar levels
- Oregon Grape—Contains antimicrobial, and antiparasitic properties that help combat various kinds of fungal and bacterial infections and protection for the liver
- Beneficial for supporting liver function (detoxification), kidneys (metabolism), and gallbladder function (vital for blood sugar regulation); free-radical scavengers can help protect against inflammation, and bioflavonoid antioxidant properties help to increase the body's immunity
- Contains anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antifungal, antitumor, antibacterial, anticoagulant, and antiseptic properties, beneficial for circulatory health, contains analgesic properties and may help decrease harmful blood cholesterol
Pet's Weight Dosage
To be taken twice daily. All NHV supplements are designed to be used together, and can, therefore, be given at once for convenience.
Select your pet's weight to determine the correct dose.
To be taken twice daily. Determine your pet’s weight and then use the easy chart below to determine the correct dose. This is the minimum dosage.
Pet's Weight Dosage
0 - 15 lb = 0.5 ml
16 - 30 lb = 1.0 ml
31 - 45 lb = 1.5 ml
46 - 60 lb = 2.0 ml
61 - 75 lb = 2.5 ml
Over 75 lb = 3.0 ml
How to Administer
Shake well before use. The easiest method is to use the dropper provided and place the drops into your pet’s food or favorite treat. You can also use the dropper and squirt directly into the pet’s mouth. Some pets can be finicky, if this occurs consider hiding the drops in foods most pet’s love such as fish, chicken or yogurt or a favourite treat. If your pet only eats dry food then soak a few kibbles at feeding time.
For Best Results
Herbal dietary supplements are beneficial to the health and well-being of your pet and are safe for long-term use. Every pet responds to natural herbal supplements differently, therefore it is important to be consistent and administer the product daily. Supplements generally take two to four weeks to take effect, however this will vary from one animal to the next.
All NHV Natural Pet Products are pure herbal extracts and contain no artificial additives, preservatives or coloring. Shelf life after opening is 6 months and must be refrigerated after opening.
Cautions and Contraindications
Do not use in pregnant or nursing animals.
All information provided by NHV Natural Pet Products is for educational purposes only.