Overview of Ocicat
They may look like they just stepped out of the wild, but Ocicat kittens are 100% domestic! Named after the wild Ocelot, these house kitties came into existence by accident from cross-breeding a Siamese and an Abyssinian, which resulted in the first wild-looking domestic cats back in the mid-60s! Adding the American Shorthair to the mix gave these cats a more robust build and added the silver coat color to their gene pool. The Ocicat's most iconic trait is their signature spotted coat which comes in a range of colors like chocolate, tawny, cinnamon, blue, lavender, fawn, and 6 shades of silver. Typically weighing 6 to 15 pounds, the Ocicat's short low-shedding coat only takes occasional grooming to keep them looking purrfect!
Personality of Ocicat
Ocicats are robust, athletic kitties who love to climb and play. They can be described as rather doglike, even learning to walk with a harness or fetch. Ocicats are highly intelligent and playful, making them great pets for a lively household. Their friendly personalities make them cozy lapcats as well as devoted companions. Even though Ocicats look like creatures from the jungle, their gentle nature makes them great furry housemates for small children and other pets. Keep your eye out for an Ocicat if you're looking for a wild-looking kitty who will want to cuddle you all day rather than show you their claws!
Common Health Conditions & Recommendations for Ocicat
Gingivitis in cats: is a common dental issue for Ocicats, so it is recommended that you brush their teeth daily to remove bacteria and help prevent infection in their teeth and gums.
Recommendations for Dental Disease in Ocicats:
- Mouth Drops - All-natural mouth drops that may help prevent infection, support healthy teeth and gums while guarding against tooth decay.
Amyloidosis in cats: is a condition that causes an insoluble protein called amyloid to be deposited in organs such as the liver and kidneys. It is a condition that deeply impacts immune system functioning and may cause symptoms like fatigue or weakness.
Recommendations for Amyloidosis in Ocicats:
- Tripsy - The kidneys are the organs most affected by amyloidosis so Tripsy is beneficial support for pets that need kidney and urinary support.
- Milk Thistle - Assists with detoxifying the liver and encourages cell regeneration.
- Natures Immuno - A blend of medicinal mushrooms that may help to bolster the immune system and help to alleviate symptoms like low energy or muscle weakness.
- Yucca - A nutrient-rich herb that is full of B vitamins which have a direct impact on digestion and metabolism.
Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy in cats: is the most common form of heart disease in cats which causes enlargement (hypertrophy) of the heart muscle and a decreased ability to pump blood through the body.
Recommendations for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy in Ocicats:
- Heart Health Kit - Natural supplement bundle formulated to help alleviate symptoms of feline heart disease, promote cardiovascular health and may fill nutritional voids.