Holistic Support and Pet Supplements for the Holidays
'Tis the season you say! Of course, the holidays are a time to celebrate, but with family dinners and get-togethers just around the corner, changes in your pet's daily routine can cause a lot of stress and anxiety. Hanging wires or seasonal decorations can entice your pet's curiosity, and they may gobble up something they weren't supposed to from the kitchen! Bringing home new plants like belladonna, mistletoe, or holly may be toxic to your pets, and may cause an upset tummy resulting in diarrhea from a few casual nibbles. We recommend creating safe spaces for your little one to relax, play and retreat to when the festivities become too much for them. If you're low on space, just opening up a few closets or having a few boxes with blankets or soft bedding inside will do wonders for your pet's mental wellbeing. For added support, we recommend our Holiday Essentials Kit that contains Matricalm (natural stress relief), Plantaeris (diarrhea support) and Yucca (anti-inflammatory and appetite support).
How the NHV Holiday Essentials Kit Supports A Relaxed Pet
With the new faces and changes, your dog, cat or pet’s heart rate and blood pressure may increase, and they may become irritated, excitable, and stressed. These symptoms may cause digestive upset and aggressive behavior. Matricalm contains five calming herbs that may help relax the nervous system, improve digestion and discourage aggressive or anxious behavior.
Dogs and cats of all ages can have very sensitive GI tracts (especially our feline friends), so if they accidentally munch on mistletoe, an ornament, chocolate or an edible arrangement, they will likely get an upset tummy and possibly diarrhea. Plantaeris is a gentle, fast-acting diarrhea remedy that contains herbs like barberry and mullein which help to relax muscle cramping and encourage digestion. Some foods, like chocolate, and plants can be toxic, please see an emergency vet right away if your pet has ingested toxic foods/plants.
Yucca is a nutritive superfood (rich in vitamin C, beta-carotene, B vitamins, magnesium, iron, calcium, manganese, protein) and contains beneficial properties that help support the absorption of nutrients. Yucca also helps with overall digestive discomfort, and can even help reduce the production of urease, which contributes to the unpleasant odors of urine and feces in some pets.
- Support for stress, anxiety, and aggressive behavior
- May help increase feelings of relaxation
- Safe for dogs and cats of all ages
- All-natural & vet-approved
- May help reduce excitability
- A natural diarrhea remedy that works gently and quickly
- Promotes healthy bowel movements
- May improve digestive health
- Glycerin-based (sweet taste is palatable for pets)
- Support for inflammation in muscles, and joints in pets
- May improve absorption and improve appetite
- Rich source of vitamins, minerals, and trace elements (superfood)
- Promotes healthy GI functions
Holistic Support For Your Pet
Having a healthy pet means the world to us at NHV. Providing your furkiddo with natural support during this holiday season may help prevent infections, digestive issues, and more! If you have any questions about pet supplements for your furry friends, Get in touch with an NHV Pet Expert - we’re always happy to help.
- item number
- 2.10 LBS
Made with the finest, organically grown, or ethically harvested herbs. Made specifically for pets, vet-formulated, and vet approved.
- Chamomile is a calming herb with gentle sedative properties that helps to reduce anxiety and nervousness.
- Hops is a diuretic and sedative herb that may increase capillary circulation and stimulate digestion. It is helpful for calming restlessness and anxiety.
- Lemon Balm has been used since the Middle Ages to help reduce stress and anxiety. It may also lower blood pressure and help expel intestinal gas.
- Passion Flower is an herb that may increase the levels of GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid) in the brain and encourages a feeling of relaxation.
- Valerian is a herb that helps to lower blood pressure and relieve inflammation. Its sedative properties may improve sleep latency and sleep quality.
- Barberry has a long history of use for diarrhea, upset stomach, and for helping to reduce stomach acid. It contains antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and astringent properties.
- Bayberry has been traditionally used for aiding with diarrhea due to its high levels of tannins, resins, and gums that are effective at fighting bacterial infections and promoting circulation.
- Chamomile has been used for centuries to help soothe indigestion, reduce spasms and for calming nervous energy.
- Chinese Peony has been used in Chinese Medicine to help relax muscle spasms and help reduce stomach discomfort.
- Ginger contains properties that may improve intestinal muscle tone (encourages gentle elimination)
- Mullein is a mucilaginous herb that is known to help soothe inflammation, help alleviate muscle cramps and help relieve diarrhea.
- Myrrh contains terpenoids and sesquiterpenes which contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help provide relief for overall digestive discomfort.
- Oregon Grape contains beneficial properties to improve digestion and absorption of nutrients by stimulating bile flow.
- Thyme contains carminative and antispasmodic properties which are beneficial supports for IBD, colitis, and other gastric disorders.
- Yucca root is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and saponin compounds. Saponins are a group of compounds that help encourage a healthy appetite and may improve nutrient absorption.
Pet's Weight Dosage
To be taken twice daily. All NHV supplements are designed to be used together, and can, therefore, be given at once for convenience.
Select your pet's weight to determine the correct dose.
To be taken twice daily. Determine your pet’s weight and then use the easy chart below to determine the correct dose. This is the minimum dosage.
Pet's Weight Dosage
0 - 15 lb = 0.5 ml
16 - 30 lb = 1.0 ml
31 - 45 lb = 1.5 ml
46 - 60 lb = 2.0 ml
61 - 75 lb = 2.5 ml
Over 75 lb = 3.0 ml
For small animals (rabbits, ferrets), avians and reptiles use 1 drop for every 2 lb of body weight.
How to Administer
Shake well before use. The easiest method is to use the dropper provided and place the drops into your pet’s food or favorite treat. You can also use the dropper and squirt directly into the pet’s mouth. Some pets can be finicky, if this occurs consider hiding the drops in foods most pet’s love such as fish, chicken or yogurt or a favorite treat. If your pet only eats dry food then soak a few kibbles at feeding time.
For Best Results
Herbal dietary supplements are beneficial to the health and well-being of your pet and are safe for long-term use. Every pet responds to natural herbal supplements differently, therefore it is important to be consistent and administer the product daily. Supplements generally take two to four weeks to take effect, however this will vary from one animal to the next.
All NHV Natural Pet Products are pure herbal extracts and contain no artificial additives, preservatives or coloring. Shelf life after opening is 6 months and must be refrigerated after opening.
Cautions and Contraindications
Do not use in pregnant or nursing animals.
All information provided by NHV Natural Pet Products is for educational purposes only.
- Create safe spaces for your pet.
- Improve your pet’s social skills before your holiday events.
- Help your pet learn to tolerate noise.
- Help prevent tree-related or plant-related accidents.
- Candles and Cords should be protected and neatly wrapped.
- Keep gift wrapping supplies out of reach.
- Do not feed your dog or cat chocolate.
- Do not feed your pet cooked chicken. or turkey bones (can splinter and become lodged in the throat, stomach or intestinal tract).
What can I give my dog for anxiety?
When a dog is anxious, their heart rate may increase, their blood pressure may rise and they can become nervous or excitable. When this happens, your dog may start to pant, become restless, and possibly even aggressive or destructive. For anxiety and excitability, we recommend NHV Lesstress or NHV Matricalm. Both formulations contain gentle sedative properties that help your pet relax, help reduce nervousness, and discourage destructive behavior.
Are holidays stressful for pets?
Yes. The holiday season can definitely be stressful for pets. With the introduction of new faces, objects, holiday plants, and noise (loud conversation or music), your pet may become overwhelmed or anxious with all of the sudden changes to their environment.
What holiday plants are toxic for cats?
- Poinsettia (not deadly but best to keep out of reach)
- Christmas cactus (not deadly but will cause tummy ache)
- Christmas tree (not deadly but best to keep out of reach)
How long does it take NHV Plantaeris to help my pet’s diarrhea?
The herbs contained in Plantaeris are fast-acting on the body, yet gentle. So for pets with acute diarrhea, we recommend doubling the dosage to help get on top of your pet’s diarrhea symptoms and when their condition improves, we recommend going back to the regular dosage for a week or two in order to support full recovery. For more severe cases of diarrhea (caused by IBD) or chronic diarrhea, book an appointment with your vet.