Natural Constipation Support for Dogs
Besides straining and painful or difficult defecation, if you realize your pup is showing signs like hard, dry small stools, lethargy, loss of appetite, hunched posture or vomiting for more than two days, you should consider taking them to see your trusted vet to run some tests to figure out the underlying cause. Your vet will be able to check the consistency of the stools through a physical examination and get an idea of how advanced the constipation is. Further exams like lab tests, endoscopy, and image exams like X-rays and ultrasounds might be required to rule out other conditions like tumors in the GI tract, for instance. Musculoskeletal disorders, neurological conditions, and diseases in the urinary tract also need to be ruled out since they can be the primary causes of constipation.
Constipation is a very serious symptom. It is important to keep in mind that chronic constipation can lead to more complicated issues like obstipation and megacolon. Obstipation happens when fecal matter becomes chronically compacted, and your furkiddo can't poop at all. Megacolon happens when the colon loses its normal motility and ability to eliminate waste normally. Obstipation and megacolon are complex health issues and may require manual or surgical removal by your trusted vet. The treatment for constipation will depend on the underlying cause, its severity and its duration.
For acute constipation or constipation that tends to recur, we'd suggest adding a natural dog constipation support remedy like NHV Maris to your pup’s daily meals. Maris’ gentle formulation means that you can safely increase the dosage on days that your pet needs the extra support. NHV Maris for dog constipation can safely be used short-term as well as long-term as natural health support. Maris promotes soft stools and may help improve colon health in puppies (vaccinated and weaned), as well as adult dogs.
How NHV’s Natural Dog Constipation Remedy Eases Constipation
Constipation can cause a lot of discomfort for your little one. Ingredients like Cascara Sagrada and Ginger can improve intestinal muscle tone, reduce muscle cramping during bowel movements and relieve nausea. The laxative properties in Maris create softer stool, which also makes bowel movements easier and reduces straining. Herbs like Dandelion promote healthy movement through the colon by stimulating bile flow while Marshmallow soothes and lubricates irritated digestive tissues.
Causes for Constipation in Dogs
There are many different causes for constipation such as:
- Diet. Just like humans, pets with a diet insufficient in fiber can present constipation.
- Intestinal blockages. Some pets can also accidentally swallow indigestible materials which may cause blockages and abnormal fecal transit.
- Hairballs can also cause constipation in extreme cases.
- Dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.
- Low activity levels.
- Tumors either inside the gastrointestinal tract or external to this system.
- Elderly pets seem to be more prone to constipation. One of the reasons is because some of them have pain and discomfort associated with other concurrent conditions.
- Anal gland issues and conditions in the prostate.
- Medications such as opiates, diuretics, antihistamines, and antacids.
- Diseases like hypothyroidism, chronic kidney failure, osteoarthritis, and orthopedic conditions in general, central nervous system disorders, stress, and skin conditions.
Get Your Dog On The Road To Recovery With NHV Supplements
Part of being a pet parent is keeping your companion safe and comfortable. When it comes to natural dog constipation remedies, we only use the best ingredients to make a gentle yet effective formulation that is safe to use on all dogs. NHV Natural Pet Products are 100% natural, and their liquid formulations make them easy to hide in food. For any questions or concerns about your little one’s unique needs, contact us by live chat, email or phone with the button below.
- item number
- 0.70 LBS
- 3.4 fl. oz. (100ml)
- life stages
- adult, senior, puppy
- made in
Made with the finest, organically grown, or ethically harvested herbs. Made specifically for pets, vet-formulated and vet approved.
- Cascara Sagrada—Is widely used in veterinary medicine for its gentle laxative effects to help soften stools and supporting healthy bowel movements, relieving indigestion and improving intestinal peristalsis (movement to the colon)
- Dandelion—Contains anti-inflammatory properties and a nutrient-rich tonic that protects the liver, improves digestion and stimulates increased bile flow: bile helps prevent constipation by releasing digestive enzymes, stimulating peristaltic action of the gut and emulsifying fat molecules
- Eleuthero—Contains antioxidant and anxiolytic properties to support digestion (helps prevent constipation) and improve overall vitality
- Fennel—Relieves stomach cramps, spasms, helps expel intestinal gas and improves intestinal peristalsis (to prevent intestinal blockages)
- Ginger—Contains antispasmodic and anti-flatulent properties that may help with cramping, eliminating gas and nausea; may improve intestinal muscle tone, and encourage healthy elimination without causing discomfort
- Marshmallow—Helps against microorganisms and contains anti-inflammatory properties that soothe irritated tissue, and lubricates the inner walls of the intestines
- Peppermint Oil—May relieve muscle cramps and spasms, can promote better digestion, helps eliminate gas, and can increase bile flow (bile helps break down matter into smaller pieces and can prevent blockages)
Pet's Weight Dosage
To be taken twice daily. All NHV supplements are designed to be used together, and can, therefore, be given at once for convenience.
Select your pet's weight to determine the correct dose.
To be taken twice daily
This is the minimum dosage
Product is provided with 1ml dropper. The graphic above is for dosage calculation purposes only
To be taken twice daily. Determine your pet’s weight and then use the easy chart below to determine the correct dose. This is the minimum dosage.
Pet's Weight Dosage
0 - 15 lb = 0.5 ml
16 - 30 lb = 1.0 ml
31 - 45 lb = 1.5 ml
46 - 60 lb = 2.0 ml
61 - 75 lb = 2.5 ml
Over 75 lb = 3.0 ml
How to Administer
Shake well before use. The easiest method is to use the dropper provide and place the drops into your pet’s food or favorite treat. You can also use the dropper and squirt directly into the pet’s mouth.
Some pets can be finicky, if this occurs consider hiding the drops in foods most pet’s love such as fish, chicken or yogurt or a favorite treat. If your pet only eats dry food then soak a few kibbles at feeding time.
For Best Results
Herbal dietary supplements are beneficial to the health and wellbeing of your pet and are safe for long-term use. Every pet responds to natural herbal supplements differently, therefore it is important to be consistent and administer the product daily. Supplements generally take two to four weeks to take effect, however this will vary from one animal to the next.
All NHV Natural Pet Products are pure herbal extracts and contain no artificial additives, preservatives or coloring. Shelf life after opening is 6 months and must be refrigerated after opening.
Cautions and Contraindications
Do not use Maris in pregnant or nursing animals. Do not use with intestinal obstructions. Speak to your vet before using our products. A second visit is recommended if your pet’s condition does not improve, or deteriorates after continued use of the supplements.
All information provided by NHV Natural Pet Products is for educational purposes only.
Can I give my dog Maris even when they’re not constipated?
Dogs with a history of constipation can benefit from Maris. Taking a dog constipation natural remedy between flare-ups can help prevent or reduce the severity of your dog’s next episode. Dogs who do not suffer from and do not have a history of constipation do not need to take Maris.
Is Maris safe to use daily?
Yes. Maris’ all-natural ingredients mean it is safe for everyday use and should not cause diarrhea. If you notice your dog’s stool is too soft, stop administering the supplement and avoid feeding your pup for 24 hours to see if there is a change in their bathroom habits.
How do I know if my dog needs a canine constipation remedy?
The signs that your dog is constipated include hard and dry stool, straining, occasional vomiting, pain while defecating, poor appetite and lethargy.
Why do dogs eat poop?
Stool eating, aka coprophagy, is actually quite a normal behavior, especially for puppies. After all, they probably saw their mother do it. Coprophagy is an ancestral instinct to protect pack members from predators that can smell it and keep the den clean when puppies are too young to venture outside to poop. This learned behavior along with natural puppy curiosity, leads them to smell, taste and yes, even eat (yuck!) their own or other dogs’ poops. To learn more about why dogs eat poop, read our blog post about it!
When should I be concerned about my dog not pooping?
Consider taking your pet to the vet when you see any of the below symptoms:
- Straining and painful or difficult defecation hard
- Dry small stools
- Loss of appetite
- Hunched posture
- Vomiting for more than two days
Constipation is a very serious symptom. It is important to keep in mind that chronic constipation can lead to more complicated issues like obstipation and megacolon. Obstipation and megacolon are complex health issues and may require manual or surgical removal by your trusted vet. The treatment for constipation will depend on the underlying cause, its severity and its duration.
Additional support from a natural dog constipation remedy such as Maris can also help.